Ethan F. Williams
Ph.D. Candidate in Geophysics
California Institute of Technology
358 South Mudd
1200 E. California Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91125
efwillia (at) caltech.edu
I recently completed my Ph.D. in geophysics at the Caltech Seismo Lab, working with Prof. Zhongwen Zhan. In January 2023, I am moving to the University of Washington as a postdoctoral scholar. I apply fiber optic sensing to problems in engineering/environmental seismology and physical oceanography.
- (2022-11-09)  Our paper tracking the temporal variability of a building's natural frequencies in response to earthquake and environmental forcing across a 20-year period was recently published in The Seismic Record. Read it here.
- (2022-11-02)  I defended my Ph.D. thesis.
- (2022-09-14)  I recently gave a seminar for the USGS Earthquake Science Center. You can listen to the recording here.
- (2022-06-24)  I received a 2022 SSA Student Presentation Award for my talk "Continuous seismic monitoring of a building over 20 years."
- (2022-05-15)  Our paper on ocean surface gravity waves and DAS was recently published in JGR: Oceans. Read it here.